"Biriyani" is a type of traditional South Asian dish made with rice, spices, and meat or vegetables. It is a popular dish in India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, and is also enjoyed in other parts of the world. There are many different variations of biriyani, such as chicken biriyani, mutton biriyani, and vegetable biriyani. It is often served with raita, a yogurt-based sauce, and chutney.
Here is a recipe for Chicken Biriyani, you can modify it as per your taste and ingredients availability:
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup ghee or oil
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 tsp saffron
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the rice and stir. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and tender.
- In a separate pan, heat the ghee or oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger, and cook until softened and golden brown.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned. Then add the tomatoes, red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric, and salt, and stir well. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the tomatoes have broken down and the chicken is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, cilantro, mint, and saffron.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking dish.
- To assemble the biriyani, spread half of the cooked rice on the bottom of the baking dish. Spread the chicken mixture on top of the rice, then spread the remaining rice on top of the chicken.
- Pour the boiling water over the top of the rice. Spread the yogurt mixture on top of the rice.
- Sprinkle with golden raisins if desired. Cover the dish with foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
You can add any meat or vegetables of your choice in this recipe.